Monday 28 March 2011

Task 6 - Theory into Practice





This is a design for a T-shirt that I have submitted for this years Y.C.N brief. The brief was to celebrate the 20th anniversary of Sonic the Hedge hog and as part of the brief I decided to make a T-shirt so that people could remember the day and wear the T-shirt with a sense of pride.
It is the actual design of Sonic the Hedgehog that I will be focusing on. As soon as I thought of celebrating the 20 years of Sonic, I thought back to my child hood and my many happy year playing Sonic on the Sega Mega Drive. The image of Sonic back then looked particularly different to the modern day Sonic. The main difference being that back in 1991 Sonic was represented in a 2D format and a very low screen resolution, hence all the pixels.

Nowadays Sonic is represented in full HD 3D glory. But to me and im sure many of other Sonic fans my age, sonic will always remain in 2D. The 3D image does not sit right and I think has lost a lot of the classic charm and charisma he once had.

These day we here a lot of how the retro and the oldskool is a lot more sort after these days. and that is exactly what I have tried to achieve with this design of sonic. A rough, pixelated and sometimes illegible picture of a 2D Sonic. Exactly the way he is supposed to be.

There are many examples I could give about the old and the retro coming full swing becoming popular again. One of the biggest retro things to have come full swing in recent years is dynamo tape. This make shift, D.I.Y look was first used in the 1970's to label tools in workshops and became a massive part of the punk identity during the early 1980's.

No comments:

Post a Comment